Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sticky spoons




It happens at this time every year, I start to crave soup. Snuggle-up with a book and blanket food. I've taken a page out of my neighbor's book and started to precook dinner at lunch time. What a difference this makes. Dinner time used to be a really stressful part of the day but it is so much more relaxing now that I've got a meal on the ready for when little (or big) tummies get hungry. Today I decided to make one of my favorite soups, pasta and white bean. It's so basic and it's so tasty. Little g. made her own "soup" while I was cooking. It was a good little diversion for her.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
pinch of chili pepper flakes
1 large onion chopped
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup green beans chopped
1 large potato cut into small cubes
1 half red bell pepper chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 can of great white northern beans
4-5 cups veggie (or chicken) stock
1 cup of cooked pasta (I like ditalini because it's small)
salt and pepper to taste
grated fresh parmesan

I saute the onion, garlic, red bell pepper and chili flakes until semi-soft. Add the carrot and green beans and saute for 5 minutes more. Pour in the stock and then add the potato and tomato. Simmer for 15 minutes. Next add the beans and simmer for 5 more. Check to make sure the potato is cooked through. Add some salt and pepper if necessary. I serve this by putting a spoon full of the cooked pasta in the bowl and pour the soup over it. We sprinkle a little fresh parmesan on top which makes our spoons sticky. We all love the sticky spoons. c.

No comments: