Thursday, September 25, 2008

Scratching an itch




Way back during a high school art class I had a lesson in block printing. I sort of fell in love with block printing that day. I worked tirelessly on my carving, careful not to end up in the emergency room with a nasty Speedball injury. I vividly remember inking the block and printing, wow the results were so fun. For some reason I haven't block printed since then but it's always been a little nagging voice. I'm not sure I'm ready to carve linoleum yet but I've had my eye on this most fabulous book by Lotta Jansdotter for awhile now. Today I spotted the book at Barnes & Noble and I carried it all over the kids section while following my little one, trying to read a bit here and there. I ended up buying it. I'm seriously obsessed with printing now. My first try was the potato print because I had all of the supplies on hand. I may just open the Church of the Potato Print because I'm so totally in love with it. I think I've been afraid to print on fabric, like I'll mess it up and what a waste. What a wast of time because it's pretty darn forgiving if you ask me. If you've got a potato in the fridge and some paint on hand grab that blank T or that simple skirt and start printing! c.

No comments: