Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Snack drawers



I grew up in the day when cookie monster ate cookies by shoving as many in his face as he possibly could. Today's fruit eating cookie monster is a product of our modern day awareness about nutrition but that doesn't necessarily translate into kids that sit around eating fruit all day.

When I was a kid I had a neighbor that had her very own snack drawer in the kitchen. I remember she had huge family packs of snickers, peanut butter cups, gum, hard candy, cookies, you name it, it was shoved in there. I'm not really sure why her parents thought it was a good idea but it seemed like she'd hit some sort of sugar jackpot to the rest of us.

Last night I was watching Cookie Monster on the Colbert Report and got to thinking about my neighbors snack drawer when I had a "you got chocolate in my peanut butter," kind of moment. What we need in this house is a healthy snack drawer for little g. and while we're at it one for me too! g's got a cabinet drawer now with her little snacks and I filled the bottom drawer of the fridge with fruit for my snack attacks. So far so good. I'll let you know how it goes or if I freak in a few days and start shoving cookies down my face (albeit the sugar-free, fat-free, wheat-free, cookie-free cookie). c.

No comments: