Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Potato leek twist




Lots of soup making going on in my kitchen. I make my own version of a potato leek with a bit of a twist. We eat this soup along with some Gruyère cheese toasted on a baguette and it is our favorite winter meal.

6 leeks cleaned and sliced
2 carrots diced
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 level teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon canola
1 large potato cubed
6 cups clear veggie stock
Black pepper
Salt

Baguette
Gruyère cheese
Butter

Melt the butter and canola in a soup pot. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, leeks and carrot. Cook until soft. Stir in the potato for about 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 1/2 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Using a hand blender, blend until smooth. If you use a standard blender let the soup cool first and then reheat to serve. We like to eat this with Gruyère toast. I slice a baguette, spread a little butter on top along with some slices of Gruyère. I broil it until the cheese is melted and the top is toasted. I may rename this blog, or my dog or my pet hamster Gruyère because I love it so much. Is there anything the Swiss haven't perfected? c.

No comments: